By Shannon Shears, Health Coach
Water seems to be beneficial for so many different health issues. Want to lose weight? Drink more water. Acne? Drink more water. Constipated? Drink more water. Yes, it’s true, water is good for you!
How can you easily get enough water?
- Drink a glass of water upon waking up to activate internal organs.
- Drink a glass of water before each meal to aid digestion.
- Keep a water bottle with you throughout the day—the more accessible it is, the more likely you are to drink it!
- Track your water consumption through the day to avoid playing catch-up in the evening—there are even apps to help you do this.
What can all of this water do for you on a daily basis?
- Bolster brain function—your brain is mostly water so drinking more of it helps you think, focus and concentrate better.
- Flush out toxins—water helps you rid waste which reduces your risk of kidney stones, urinary tract infections and constipation.
- Improve skin—water keeps your skin moisturized, fresh and soft—it may even help prevent wrinkles!
- Support weight loss—in addition to removing fat byproducts, drinking more water may reduce hunger and increase metabolism.
What types of health problems can water help with?
- Headaches—because many headaches are caused by dehydration, water is a natural headache remedy.
- Cramps and sprains—proper hydration keeps joints lubricated and muscles more elastic, preventing cramps and sprains.
- Heart attack and stroke—water helps reduce your risk by keeping blood more fluid and even eliminating excess salt which lowers blood pressure.
- Cancer—water is especially known for helping to reduce the risk of colon and bladder cancer.
All in all, it’s hard to go wrong with good old water—give it a try today!
Shannon’s Education and Certifications:
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
ACE Certified Health Coach
ACSM Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist