WebMD Health Services has renewed its URAC Health Web Site Accreditation through July 1, 2020.
URAC is an independent, nonprofit accreditation entity, based in Washington, DC, whose mission it is to advance healthcare quality through leadership, accreditation, measurement and innovation. The URAC seal is a symbol of quality in health information on the Internet. Organizations that achieve Health Web Site Accreditation demonstrate their voluntary commitment to providing quality health information and meeting high standards for information delivery.
It is common sense that you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet, but WebMD Health Services has gone to great lengths to be an exception…
WebMD is committed to assuring peace of mind to the millions of people who use our well-being portal. We strive to make their experience safe and enjoyable. We take great pride in the fact that our readers consider us to be worthy of their trust.
This is the latest in a series of accreditations we have earned recently that demonstrates our commitment to quality. Back in April, we announced that we have earned the gold standard in health data security, HITRUST CSF Certification, as well as two industry-leading accreditations and a certification from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). We earn and maintain these industry seals of approval to maintain the trust and confidence of the clients and the millions of people we serve.
What’s special about the URAC Health Web Site accreditation?
The URAC accreditation includes review of key areas, such as:
- Privacy and security.
- Health content and editorial processes.
- Disclosure of financial relationships.
- Linking policies and notice about the links you choose.
- Consumer complaints.
The URAC-accredited health web site:
- Has an editorial policy that identifies the author and/or reviewer.
- Does not make claims of therapeutic effect without competent and reliable scientific evidence that supports the claim.
- Does not knowingly publish health content (including advertising and sponsored content) that contains either false or misleading claims, or promotes ineffective or dangerous products.
- Clearly distinguishes between paid advertising and website editorial content.
- Protects personal information that consumers provide, and does not collect personal health information without asking for consent.
- Provides specified levels of security procedures.
- Has a conflict of interest policy for the editorial team and all authors of health content that’s easy for users to find.
- Involves a quality oversight committee to evaluate and choose sites with which to link.
“It is common sense that you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet, but WebMD Health Services has gone to great lengths to be an exception by achieving independent Health Website Accreditation from URAC,” said URAC President and CEO Kylanne Green. “With URAC’s rigorous and independent accreditation standards for healthcare-related websites that demand disclosure, quality oversight, and accountability, WebMD Health Services demonstrates that it can be a trusted source of health information in the Internet.”
- Blog Article: One More Reason You Can Trust WebMD Health Services
- Blog Article: First, Security. Now, Quality.